Sunday, August 11, 2013

Comments of Dad at the Service

This is part comments of George Stade, husband for fifty-seven years:

When I was a sophomore at St. Lawrence University, in my psychology class there was a door past the lectern that led out onto a fire escape, where you could look out on the main entrance. And I would see this woman, and I liked how she walked and how she looked and how she dressed. So I asked a friend who knew her for her name, and I called her to ask her out to see a jazz concert in the auditorium.

 She went out with me but she said it was so nice out after a heavy snow the night before that why didn't we just go for a walk.  As we were walking she saw two birds on wires, one above the other, and the bird on the top wire shook so the snow fell down on the bird below, and that bird on the lower wire hunched its shoulders and looked up. And Dolly laughed and hunched her shoulders and looked up, and inspired the first poetic phrase of my whole life - young eyes. Over the years I'd see that look in her eyes when something gave her joy and it always gave me joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment