Friday, July 26, 2013

Dolly Stade b. 1934 d. 2013

Dorothy Louise Fletcher Stade was born December 5, 1934, to Elmer Lee Fletcher and Laura Fletcher, nee Brewster.  Her sister was Nancy Graham.  Her husband of almost fifty-five years was George Gustave Stade.  She had four children -- Bjorn, Eric, Nancy, and Kirsten Stade -- and three grandchildren -- Jack and Nick, and Ursula Ngoc Stade. 

Our mother was profoundly intelligent.  Her intellectual interests were broad and deep, covering nature, medicine, literature, history and politics to name a few.  She was Sir Richard Attenborough in the field, conjuring names of exotic flora from her encyclopedic botanical knowledge, all of it neatly indexed and readily retrieved.  She could pull a quote from literature to illustrate any point she wished to make. How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child was among her favorites.  She admired the founding fathers, perhaps as much for their interest in gardening as for their contributions to history.  Not surprisingly, she was a Mensa member.  I often thought I'd like to be as smart as she was.  In truth, it was probably a liability.  With those chops the times you live in must always seem insipid.   

Maybe that is why she was so funny, because humor could palliate the imbecilism to which she was so finely attuned.  Her sense of humor ranged from silly to Swiftian and encompassed everything in between.  When we gathered her house plants to donate to neighbors we came across an Afro pick with a Black Power fist stuck into the soil of a philodendron.  That combination of irony (what's a fine haired girl with New England ancestry dating to around the Mayflower doing with an Afro pick) and sincerity (because she was a free thinker, and had deep sympathy for the civil rights movement, having declined membership in the Daughters of the American Revolution because of their history of refusing to have Black performers at their concert hall) was pretty typical.  She had a special gift for the caustic.  Driving past the Takoma Park Republican Voters Garden -- a few rangy azaleas on a corner lot -- provoked one of her scornful rhetoricisms: What do you think they plant there, stink weed?  It was with utmost affection that she called her children nitwits and other more obscure terms of similar connotation from the mysterious lexicon she wielded.

More than anything else she gave.  To her husband and children, to a long list of charities.  She gave in her endless nurturing of flowers and plants, in her love of animals and nature, in the ornaments and mosaics she made, in the ink sketches of owls.  The night of her death we brought some of our mother's boxes down from the closet and unpacked two handmade cloth dolls she made for her daughters years ago. They had hand-embroidered fur-lined cloaks that could be removed to reveal elaborate skirts made from our childhood dresses, petticoats, and underneath stockings and boots she'd made from old ribbons. She was constantly sending off notes to her children and grandchildren, penned in her beautiful hand, and decorated with sketches of her beloved dog Dizzy or folkloric hearts and flowers.  The work I most associate with her is a mosaic made from the glass tiles she purchased perhaps fifty years ago, from an antique store in the Village when she and my father were living on Jane Street.  The mosaic is of a blue eyed woman with her arms wrapped around two children, one fair-haired and one with dark hair.  An art critic from the day had the audacity to review her tile work somewhat derisively, titling his piece Artsy Craftsy Betsey Stade.  He couldn't appreciate the absence of irony in her handiwork.  The things she made with her hands came from a place of pure love.

She was less interested in receiving, and though we struggled with it one had to admire her determination.  She became more and more obstinate that she'd live and die just as she chose.  I am glad that in the last few decades of her life she visited her children wherever we were - all over the Southwest, Northern California, Colorado, Counties Sligo, Dublin, and Donegal, Central Mexico - but her first choice was always the cabin set on seventy woody Adirondack acres our parents purchased in 1970 and visited every summer for the next 43 years.  Following my father's retirement, their summer vacations ran from May to October, until 2012, when even Dolly acknowledged the care and maintenance might be more than they could continue.  Towards the end she did accept a gift from my sister, who went with my parents to spend a few days in early July in the old home on the Benson - Bleecker road.  I am grateful she had those days.

The family is holding a private service at Francis Collins Funeral Home and Rock Creek Cemetery, where her ashes will be interred.  If you would like to honor Dolly, you may do so by making a donation to the Washington Humane Society in her name, or by posting your memory of Dolly as a comment to this blog. 



3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to learn about Dolly. I just read the blog post and it reminded me very fondly of the one time I apartment-sat for her and George, in the summer of 1994, I think. My only real responsibility was to water the plants. Sounded easy until I walked in there — I had never seen so many plants in my life! I never wanted to know just had bad a state I left them in for her return!

    Thinking of all of you,

    Barry Wolverton

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment is from Leslie Vosshall:

    Your mom was a fantastic person and I was very distressed and saddened to hear of her passing. It was a privilege to meet her now 30 years ago when we were both freshman at Columbia and I would hang out with the family. I always thought she was absolutely the coolest mom on earth. Painting the ceiling of the south bathroom with blue clouds, cooking the most amazing food, and going through life as a compassionate lovely person with the most fantastic sense of humor. Her laugh is permanently written in my memory. She is truly an unforgettable person and I wept when Kevin sent me the news. Dolly's memory will live on in our family forever...an Adirondack mirror, a wedding gift from Dolly, hangs in our crummy Jersey lake shack and Ophelia cherishes a wooden windup toy your mom so nicely gave us at her birth. Our deepest condolences to you and your siblings and dad and dear Ursula.

    Love, Les

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dolly and I graduated from St. Lawrence University in 1956.She at the top of the class and me in the opposite direction.George, who was a year ahead of us, and I lived in a private home across the street from the campus for a couple of years, around the corner from the Phi Sig house which we both belonged to.I'm sure that this is how we became such close friends and through their dating I was introduced to many of Dolly's Pi Phi sorority sisters who were a terrific group---sometimes a bit nutsy when together!My wife, Mary, was a high school classmate of Dot Fletcher(not Dolly.Mary was from Long Island, I met her in Florida--but that's another story.Dolly and George came to our wedding in CT and Mary saved the wrapping paper from their gift because of Dolly's artistic design.It was a copper foil wrapping with her drawing of a grand piano(for me) next to a drawing of a trumpet(for George)and her message was "Swing Indefinitely--Love Dolly and George".Mary framed it and it has been on our wall ever since. A daily reminder of two wonderful people.Although we didn't see each other that often through the years we always kept in regular contact---telephone, letters, and finally e mails, which made things much easier.We did get together from time to time in NY City--probably to hear some jazz. I remember Tris, their first dog and later Dizzy.We all went to a St. Lawrence reunion in 2000(I think)and spent time with Nancy Purcell Murphy and husband Doc.Dolly and Mary carried on in Gunnison Chapel during some presentation and I think we were given a lifetime ban! That's also another story.We visited Dolly and George in Sept. of '08 or '09 in their summer cabin and were treated to Dolly's culinary skills--especially her desserts. As we were leaving to go home I remember turning to Dolly -- and we gave one another a long,nice hug.That's the last time we saw one another. But...the e mails and phone calls(from George) continued. Our last e mail correspondence was July 7, 2013.
    One last remembrance has to do with sister Nancy--"the brat"(her words)--and she probably won't remember this--but she came to SLU to visit Dolly for a weekend(I don't recall the occasion) and Dolly arranged for me to be her date. I think she trusted me to be a gentleman--which I was. After all Nancy was 16 years old and very pretty.

    These are some of my thoughts and I'm sure there will be plenty more.

    Rest in peace, dear friend. 'Til we meet again.
    Ernie
    (Ernie Mazza)

    ReplyDelete